Full Time Instructor
About The Iron Yard:
Our vision is to create real, lasting change for people, organizations and their communities.
At The Iron Yard, we’re not only committed to making real, lasting change in people’s lives but we’re also intentional about increasing diversity and inclusion both within our team and in the communities we serve. We are working to break down barriers for people to enter and stay in the tech industry and create access to career pathways by providing support, advocacy, scholarships, and opportunities regardless of background.
Our mission is to connect with people pursuing the craft and lifelong adventure of technology and help equip them with the skills they need to both get started and progress throughout their careers.
Primary function of this role:
Learn and execute best instructional practices for beginning students to prepare them for a career in software development. This involves coaching and mentoring of students through their TIY journey, while you develop superior communication skills (both technical and non-technical), classroom management, pedagogy, public speaking and conflict management. Through their teaching journey’s, The Iron Yard Instructors become better coders, authors, teachers and public speakers!
What you’ll do:
- Give lectures and live-coding demonstrations to students
- Guide and mentor students through learning exercises and activities during lab time.
- Manage a classroom of students with varying levels of aptitude and competency with course material
- Assess student growth and progress using formal and informal tools and technologies
- Maintain a supportive and enjoyable classroom environment for students
- Mentor and provide instructional and technical feedback to Associate Instructors
- Meet regularly with students in a 1:1 setting to discuss goals, progress and performance
- Contribute to campus success by leading workshops and local campus events
- Participate in admissions process for students by interviewing and evaluating prospective students
You might be a fit for the role if…
- You have 5+ years of development experience
- You have some production experience in one of these area’s: Node.js, Java (Spring), Ruby (Rails)
- You’re an active participant in the developer community with a portfolio of recent work
- You have previous experience mentoring junior or mid level developers
- You have excellent written and spoken communication skills
- You’re excited about joining the movement to increase diversity in tech
- You really care about making a difference in education and in people’s lives
Bonus points if...
- You’ve run an in-person or online workshop
- You have previous teaching experience
- You have production experience in additional languages
- You participated in the open source development process
- You’ve spoken at conferences and/or meetups
- You have experience or passion in web accessibility
Compensation and benefits:
- 100% paid medical and dental coverage for you and your family
- Make saving for your future simple with our 401(k) and generous 4% match
- Unlimited time off and paid holidays for you to rest and relax
- Access to internal training and upskilling materials and programs
- Yearly seminar and conference allowance to continue your education
- Healthy snacks in each campus each week